Kaunas Challenge 2018 event center – Kaunas confluence
It is an exceptional and unique place near Kaunas city center, still undiscovered to many visitors of the city.
The event will take place alongside with Freedom Picnic in Nemunas Islanda, which is a well known free-to-attend Lithuanian public event that draws thousands of participants. Expect plenty of entertainment, ideas, good food and interesting people. Bring your family and friends.
As usual, participants will start and finish at the event center.
- 09:00 – Black course start
- 11:00 – Red course start
- 12:00 – Blue course start
- 13:00 – Green course start
- 18:00 – Finnish for all course participants
- 18:30 – Award ceremony
Participants must arrive to the event center at least one hour before their course start. Early arrival will allow racers to prepare properly. From 30 min before the start time, racers will be allowed to enter the start corridor, where they will get course maps and be able to plan their race strategy.
Orienteering is the backbone connecting all Kaunas Challenge disciplines. The racers will have to navigate in the city, parks, and some forests. Expect three types of maps – city plan, orienteering sport maps and ortophoto images. Even minimal orienteering skills could make a big difference on the race day.
We recommend to find your local orienteering club and pick up necessary navigation skills. Don’t know where to start? To to global orienteering directory. You may also wish to search on web for “learn orienteering” resources. There can never be too much of orienteering!
Meanwhile, if you are in Lithuania, you may learn more about this sport by participating in Orienteering events all around Lithuania, and if in Kaunas, Vilnius or Klaipėda – there will be special training session for Klaipėda Challenge participants. More details will be available here.
For participants from abroad:
- If it is too difficult for you to bring your own bike, consider bike rental option. We are working with local suppliers to provide you with a unique Kaunas Challenge offer.
Please contact us if
- If you are a citizen of a country that requires visa to enter Lithuania / European Union and would like our help with visa.
- If you have travel arrangements that do not give you sufficient amount of time for race packet pickup.
- If you would like our recommendation for accommodation.
Each participant must wear a helmet during entire race.
- We recommend using mountain or touring bike. Road bike is not suitable for Kaunas Challenge courses. The racers thinking whether to wear special bike shoes are advised to consider that during bike section there may be other disciplines (for example ropes) that would be waiting for you. Therefore, if you choose to wear bike shoes, we advise to bring running shoes as well and change when appropriate.
- Gloves, headlamp, paper and pen are needed to get through ropes, underground and puzzle sections. Racers without gloves won’t be admitted to do ropes’ disciplines. Headlamp is essential for safe underground exploration.
- We advise to all participants to carry some food and water (or other drink). There will be a water station in the event center, however, you may wish to refresh also on the course. The organizers do not provide food thus bring some energetic meals yourself. We recommend energy bars, bananas (if wrapped properly), nuts, chocolate etc.
- Phone and personal ID is needed should there be an accident. If you have a phone, help could be called in immediately. If you go to a medical facility, personal ID is required as sometimes medical services are not even rendered without an ID.
Registration fee is per team. It depends on the course, available tickets and payment date. Registration is confirmed only after the payment is received and team course ticket is registered.
Wish to pay even less? Register to Challenge Cup by buying one ticket for all three Challenge races and get unique Challenge Cup t-shirts for each participant for free!
Kaunas Challenge cotton T-shirts (different for every year) will help you to keep memories of you first summer’s adventure. T-shirts can be ordered in different sizes and in woman/man styles. T-shirts can be claimed during event check-in process.
HOW DO I REGISTER FOR THE RACE?
There are two steps in registration process: 1) buying the ticket for the course, 2) registering team information using the course ticket number. To buy the ticket go to the main page and click “Register” button.
IF ONE PARTICIPANT BECOMES ILL, CAN HE/SHE BE SUBSTITUTED?
Team members can be edited till the end of registration (it is indicated in the race rulebook). After that, it will not be possible to change the team member anymore.